Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Sister act

This post has very little to do with Singapore, but  it has a lot to do with someone I love dearly. At work there are these two sisters, Laressa and Anastasia. Laressa is the big sister and Anastasia is obviously the little sister. They fight all of the time. The other day  it was "tea time" and I told the two sisters as well as another girl, Ling Jie to go "queue" up for tea. Laressa obeyed, but the other two girls did not. Laressa kept coming back into the library where they were reading to urge her sister to come for tea,but Anastasia didn't budge.  Long story short, Anastasia and Ling Jie got a big scolding(they love to use that word here) for not obeying my instruction. After I scolded them, I found Laressa upset because she hates that her little sister is so easily influenced by Ling Jie(who is a huge troublemaker). She was very upset that her sister got in trouble ,but also mad at her for not obeying the rules. This reminded me so much of my sister and I. I told Laressa that I am also a big sister, and I often time find myself mad at my sister, Lesley, for not doing what I think she should do. I also told  Laressa that I think by nature big sisters want what is best for the little sister, and we get upset when they don't make the choices we  think they should make,especially when it ends badly for them. I told Laressa that she can only continue to be an example to her sister, because in the end, big sister is not always going to be there to wield instructions. I struggle with trying to play the "mom" role when it comes to my sister, and I often times I forget that we are indeed different people, and what works for me does not always, and should not always, work for her as well. This week when looking at my calendar it hit me that it is already August. August means school starts again, and as I began thinking about the upcoming year at Texas A&M, I realized that my little sister will be in College Station with me. She plans on going to Blinn, which I had known about, but it didn't strike me that we would be living about 5 minutes from each other until recently. I am so excited to have her in College Station, I look forward to this new stage in our relationship, and I think sharing a town, rather than a house, will be much easier for us! Now that she is a college girl now, I know that I will need to further reduce motherly instincts, but I can't promise to give up my big sister advice all together!

I love you Lesley, and I can't wait to be reunited soon!

My sister and  I on my 20th birthday

No comments:

Post a Comment