Monday, July 4, 2011

Adios, America

Well, the countdown is about over. I will be leaving for Singapore in less than 12 hours. My flight departs at 9 am, so I will be getting to the airport around 7:30. We will be in the air for 21 hours, but traveling for 27, seeing as though we have a few layovers. My suitcases are packed, the items on my list have been checked off, and I have quite the stack of books ready for me to read on the plan(which I am pretty excited about). I used space bags for the first time, and let me tell you, they are magical. I basically shoved my entire closet into those things, vacuumed the air out, and watched a miralce happen as I zipped my suitcase. With my bags packed, the nerves are definitely setting in, and honestly I just want to fast forward to take-off and avoid all of the pre-trip anxiety that I feel at the moment! I have never been abroad, and I have never been away from friends and family for such a long period of time, so I guess it is expected that I feel this way. I was talking to my best friend, Zack on the phone and gushing to him about all of my nerves, and he reminded me that feeling this way just proves that I am human, and I know he is right. I have already begun saying my goodbyes, and I may have shed a few tears, seriously I feel like such a drama queen!

Recently I was listening to a Breakaway podcast(a student ministry at A&M) and I heard Ben Stuart mention a time when he took a trip abroad. I cannot remember where he was going, but he was nervous and feeling a bit anxious about everything that was ahead of him, until he realized that he was not traveling to a place without God. He made a joke about bringing God along in his pocket and the two of them discovering the foreign land together, as if they were both seeing it for the first time. In reality though, God designed the entire earth, and personally knows all of it. There is not a place I can go where God is not present, and keeping that thought at the forefront of my mind brings me peace. Unlike me, God does not need to take a plane to Singapore, for He is already there.

No comments:

Post a Comment