Thursday, July 7, 2011

Settling into Singapore

Well, I feel like I have so much to say but I have no idea where to start, I am literally gushing with a thousand different emotions right now. 

I will begin with the flight, for starters it was entirely too long, and I was not able to sleep very much. We spent about 27 hours traveling from Houston until we finally arrived in Singapore. We got into Singapore at about 12:45am on the 7th, we then stayed in a 5 star hotel for the night, which by the way was very impressive. The next day we went on a quick tour of the city and we stopped to visit an orchid garden, which had a flower named in honor of Laura Bush, shout out USA! The country is TINY, literally Houston is bigger. The city is very modern though, it is also very clean and lush with greenery! After the tour, I then proceeded to meet my host family that afternoon.. The family consists of a mom, a dad, and 3 children-2 girls and a boy. The daughters are super wonderful, and are 21 and 24, so we are pretty close in age. I am sure the son is great too, I just have interacted with him too much, I am not exactly sure what he thinks about an American a girl living in his attic! I went to dinner with one of the daughters, Dawn that evening. I am having some trouble adapting to the food, I thought P.F Changs and Pei Wei had conditioned me to like Asian food, I was definitely way off on that one. Dawn showed me around the area by our house and helped me get a card for Singapore's transit system. I realized that I have not had to navigate around a city without a GPS or a smart phone before, so I am a littler nervous about how I will handle getting around the city considering directions have never been my strong suit

 I already have plenty stories to share and I am already learning a lot about myself,  but I want my posts to have some kind of order/theme/direction, so I  will be posting more as the trip continues-I just wanted to do a quick update today!

2 comments:

  1. What an incredible moment in the "life-n-times" you're experiencing we miss you & love you dearly...dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://singasongsing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete