Monday, July 11, 2011

Introducing, Miss Bridget from America!

Yesterday was my first day of work. I was never exactly very clear on what I would be doing for my internship while in Singapore. I told the program coordinator that I wanted to work for a non profit that focuses on children from broken homes/and or orphans. Turns out, that is not quite where they have placed me. I am actually a teacher at a girls school for kids who are between the ages of 8-10. About half of the girls live in a girls home because their situation at home is unsuitable for them to live there, and the other half of the girls come from middle to low income backgrounds. This is definitely not what I thought I would be doing, and I was sort of bothered by the placement at first because this current job does not reflect what I hope to be doing after graduation, but then again, who knows how I will feel about everything when my time here is up. At the school all of the other teachers were so nice, and they gathered the kids together for an assembly to introduce myself. Lulu, the head teacher, told all of the girls that I was Miss Bridget from America and literally the girls gasped with excitement. All of the girls would run up to me and ask me questions about my blue eyes, and the light colored hair on my arms. They would literally stare at me and try to figure out why I looked so different from them. They loved my headband(I told them to prepare themselves because I had more where that came from) and they were all asking me to take off my James Avery jewelry so that could hold it. I SO wish I had my Aggie Ring with me because I feel like the girls would love to see that piece of precious gold! The girls then proceeded to ask me if Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Beyonce, and other big name celebrities were from America-I told them yes they were. Their eyes were so wide when I was able to confirm that I knew songs by Bruno Mars and the Black Eyed Peas. During free time the girls wanted to show me a dance they made up to Tik Tok by Ke$ha, it was too funny and reminded me of when I used to make up dances with my friends when I was little. Lulu asked me if I would be willing to teach them American dance moves during their music time everyday, I agreed because I felt forced to accept, but I am probably the last person who should be in charge of teaching any kind of dance!The day was so long, but I think it will be an enjoyable experience overall.


Two of the younger teachers have taken me under their wing, one of them named Jaya, offered to walk with me home so she could point out which buses I should take if I wanted to ride them to work instead of walking. She is also studying to receive her Masters in counseling, and told me that trips like the one I was taking can sometimes cause trauma(just what I needed to hear) so it is her goal to make sure that I get adjusted to the culture as best I can. Pearla, the other teacher took me into the library during our lunch break and wanted to hear all about my experiences so far and I really enjoyed talking with her. She wants to give me a tour of the city on Sunday so I am looking forward to that.

After work today I am meeting up with the American group I came here with for dinner at 8. Last night I had Fiona, the other daughter in my host family, draw me a map of how to get to dinner. I am not the best with maps, but I do know what bus to get on, and once I am on the bus I am just going to ask the bus driver to tell me when I need to get off in order to reach my destination. Risky business, but hopefully I can end up at my desired location, both coming and going.

3 comments:

  1. http://singasongsing.blogspot.com/2011/07/introducing-miss-bridget-ultimate.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading about your experiences there Bridget...how they effect you and your reflections on them. You're mature beyond your years and so proud of you.
    Love...dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those little girls sound PRECIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete