Sunday, July 24, 2011

Another Singaporean weekend

I feel like I have been here forever. Another weekend as come and gone, and I can't believe tomorrow starts another work week. Sometimes I think my time here is flying, and then there are times when I feel like I will be here forever. I am trying to get the most I can out of this trip, which means I had another eventful weekend. On Saturday I went to Sentosa Island with the other Aggies. They call Sentosa "Asia's favorite playground", and it was pretty much exactly that. I was expecting a Six Flags-ish type of set up, but it was much more spread out and you had to take various shuttles to get around the island. We all really wanted to zip line, so that is what we did first. By nature I am a worrier, I knew I needed to commit to the group that I was for sure in to zip line, so they could keep me accountable, otherwise I knew I would bail once I saw how high up we were. Turns out, I was actually in the first group to go, and it was a blast. It seems to be a blur, but I definitely remember being up in the air and thinking how lucky I was to be soaring over Singaporean rain forests and beaches. Like everything in Singapore, Sentosa was very expensive, so every attraction was an additional cost. I decided that my wallet could only afford the zipline and I called it a day. While I was in a gift shop browsing, I came across a magnet about Singapore that was "Survivor" themed, and it said "Outshop, Outeat and Outplay", I laughed to myself because that silly theme is so overused, but also because that is so true of this country. I am growing weary of all the shopping and eating, which is something I never thought I would say. On Sunday I went to church with my host family again which is always so refreshing. After church, Dawn and I went to the Asian Civilizations Museum. There are a handful of museums I want to visit before I leave, and this was one of them. Museum hopping is seriously one of the only activities I feel like I have left to do that has nothing to do with shopping and eating. (Can you tell I am a little bitter about all of the malls and constant consumption of rice?) The museum had exhibits about the the different Asian cultures and featured a Terra Cotta warrior display as well. The history buff in me ate it all up, and it was nice to be in the "air con" for such a long period of time. After the museum Dawn and I went and got some bubble tea, and then made our way back home. Dawn's boyfriend came over for dinner, so we just hung out with him and the rest of the family until it was time to eat. We might watch a "Rom Com" later, but as for now I am just enjoying the last little bit of my weekend .
About to zipline!   
Taken from the air. 

A chopsticks tutorial at the museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment