Monday, July 18, 2011

Fine dining

As I have mentioned before, I work with some great people. On Sunday one of my co-workers Pearl, took me sightseeing around Singapore, we had a lovely day and even managed to stop at McDonald's for ice cream sundaes. Later that evening Pearl and I traveled to Selena's house for what I thought was just a simple dinner. Selena volunteers at the school I work for and was one of the ladies who took me out on Friday night. She has mentioned to me before that she is a "banana", meaning she has yellow skin on the outside, but white skin underneath-those words came straight from her mouth! This being said, she told me to get ready for a Western style meal prepared by her husband. Selena lives in a very upscale area and has a gigantic house-I was pretty impressed. Walking into the house we were greeted by a maid, and I quickly realized this was not a casual Sunday dinner. Lulu, another one of my co-workers arrived with her husband soon after we got there. The whole "having a maid wait on me thing", was very awkward, and honestly I didn't like it too much. Selena asked the maid to make sure that I had a full glass of champagne and a plate full of appetizers(Alaskan salmon and bruchetta) at all times. For the main course we had risotto, roasted chicken, lamb, steak and salad, I gorged the entire time. Dessert was my favorite though, her husband fixed us waffles, topped with maple syrup, ice cream, raspberries, kiwis and caramelized bananas. There was also chocolate fondue and strawberries. This meal seriously made up for all of the bad ones I have had here. After dinner we sipped on espresso and I could not help but think that this night would make a great pilot episode for The Real House Wives of South East Asia. The ladies swapped stories about their children and husbands, I tried to keep up with the conversation, but obviously I don't have any experience in either category, so I sat back and took cues from the other ladies as to when I should laugh or nod my head in agreement. It is very different having a group of friends who are in their 30s,40s and 50s, such a change from the crowd I surround myself with while living in a college town. This night again reminded me how lucky I am to have found such caring and generous people while living in Singapore. 

This story has nothing to do with my fine dining experience, but I figured it would make some of you laugh:  So, Singaporean's eat a ton of fatty meat(i.e pork) and a ton of carbs(i.e rice and noodles). You cannot have a meal without one of those 3 foods being present. This being said, I am afraid of putting on a few pounds, so I searched YouTube for some aerobics videos(very questionable quality), and I have been working out in my Singaporean attic. Between the lack of air conditioning, and lack of space, I am pretty sure my morning routine is a rather funny sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment