Saturday, July 16, 2011

A whole new world

Apparently I have been living under a rock. My wonderful co-workers planned to take me out on Friday night to explore Singapore. Between the brief city tour we went on the day we arrived here, and my walks to work, I was pretty sure I had experienced Singapore, turns out I was way off. After work on Friday, Lulu, Selena, Wanqui and myself went to dinner. They took me to a Swiss restaurant called Marche's and it was honestly one of the coolest restaurants I had ever been to. I really can't explain how fascinating the restaurant was, you will just have to take my word for it. I tried to snap some pictures, but I was quickly informed that no cameras were allowed. I was convinced that I would not have a great meal until I returned to America, but Marche's proved me wrong. After dinner we went shopping on Orchard road. Orchard is the premiere place to shop in Singapore, designer stores line the streets and literally 4 different malls feed into the road. The malls were incredible, everything was so modern and well engineered. Orchard road is also lined with all sorts of restaurants and pastry shops. My first week here left me with the impression that Singapore cuisine started and ended with fish head and chicken rice, again I was mistaken. After talking to my co-workers, we determined that I live in "rural" Singapore, which would explain my naive view of the city. Friday night was a ton of fun and I am so glad I got to really experience Singapore.

On Saturday, I got to experience even more of this great city. I met up with the other Aggies and we went to Chinatown for some cheap shopping. I really enjoyed going into the different stores and looking at all of the things that were for sale. While in Chinatown we toured part of a Hindu temple, which I thought was very interesting. The temple was so colorful and filled with statues of their gods. After Chinatown, we visited an area of Singapore called Clark Quay. We found a Mexican food restaurant and enjoyed a meal outside over looking a river. After lunch we took the train to the Marina Bay Sands Hotel. Marina Bay Sands is a super ritzy hotel surrounded by high end shopping and skyscrapers. Again, I was blown away with how modern/sophisticated/clean Singapore is. I love how in just a short 24 hours my perspective of this country changed greatly!

Here are some pictures from the first half of my weekend-ignore the fact that they are out of chronological order.
Shopping on Orchard Road
Marina Bay Sands Hotel-that is an infinity pool at the top

Area surrounding Marina Bay Sands
While shopping on Orchard Road, my co-workers insisted that I try on a Chinese gown..
Top of the Hindu temple

P.s-Tonight when I was walking home there was a group of young children playing with water guns in the road. It was such a cute scene and reminded me of the days when I used to have "water wars" with the kids in my neighborhood. I love being reminded that although I am so far away, the people here are just like me.

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhhh, Bridget that's so kool....love the pictures n you look mav-alous! ...miss you thissssssssss much ....with love, dad

    ReplyDelete